We know it's frustrating when products don't work.
Before you throw your hands in the air or think about uninstalling mote, here's a few things you might want to try out:
1. Check your version of Google Chrome: Click this link to see your version of Chrome: https://www.whatismybrowser.com/detect/what-version-of-chrome-do-i-have
If your version of Chrome doesn't start with 80 or higher, then you probably won't be able to record voice notes with mote. Please use another machine, or speak to your IT team about this.
2. Check your internet connection. Because we record and transcribe voice notes on 'the Cloud', we need a good internet connection in order to create voice notes. For this reason, mote doesn't work offline.
3. Create a mote account (if you haven't already). It's easy and quick to sign in to mote using your Google credentials, and you'll see a popup if you're not already signed in.
4. Grant Google Docs or Google Classroom access to your microphone, if you haven't done so already. We show a little notification window, and there's a system message from Chrome that you'll need to click, usually in the top left corner of your screen. Find out more . Unfortunately, right now we are having issues accessing the microphone within the Schoology application, and we don't have a solution at this time.
5. Reload or restart Google Chrome. Click Chrome -> Quit Google Chrome, and then re-open.
6. Sometimes other extensions can interfere with how Mote works. Please try disabling all of your other Chrome extensions, and see if this solves the problem.
7. Try removing your Mote extension and re-adding the latest release from the Chrome Web Store.
8. If you've tried all of these steps and still can't leave voice notes - you can now submit detailed log diagnostic information to help us diagnose your problem.
Click on the Mote icon in the browser bar, and then click the 'Help site doesn't solve your problems?' button
Then read the instructions, before clicking the 'Let's do it' button and pasting your 'debug logs' into an email'. (a templated email will open - just click Control+V or Command+V to paste the logs into the email).
Please include a description of your problem and, if you know how, a screen-recording of the issue.
Once submitted, we'll review and get back to you as soon as we can.